SPUG: Re: Perl and HTML

Joe Slagel slagel at geospiza.com
Fri Oct 27 13:23:13 CDT 2000

Ken McGlothlen wrote:

> I've been thinking about this a lot over the last year.  I continually find
> myself frustrated with webpage generation, and I wish there was a good way to
> meld what is a loose collection of partial solutions together.

Lots of  XSLT stuff omitted....

I'd like to be able to do exactly what you've specified, but not with bloody XSL.
I like perl...I like it's regrex...I like it's speed and simplicity.  It should be
possible to format XML into whatever you want in perl instead of using XSL using
some nifity and handy perl modules.  These modules could be layed out in an
OO fashion allowing one to use inheritance and overriding methods to change the
formatting.   With a good inital architecture, you probably could see alot of
modules for formatting XML down the road...

--
Joe Slagel
Geospiza, Inc.
slagel at geospiza.com