SPUG: Python/Perl

Randolph Bentson bentson at grieg.holmsjoen.com
Wed Oct 25 22:07:10 CDT 2000

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 07:20:13PM -0700, Asim Jalis wrote:
> Gisle Aas mentioned this as a footnote at the last Damianathon: the main
> weakness in Python -- lack of modules

Hmm, this would be interesting, if true.  Perhaps this poor soul meant
"not the modules I want", which is an entirely different matter.

> (for example there is no general DBI module)

Other than, for instance, "anydbm" for non-SQL and mxODBC for many
SQL database servers?

(The anydbm module provides a generic interface that's used to open
a database without specifying the lower level database package.  If
the database exists and the appropriate package is installed, the
open succeeds.  If the database doesn't exist, it is created using
the first package found (according to an ordered list).

The mxODBC package provides a nearly 100% Python DB API compliant
interface to databases that are accessible via the ODBC API. Many
databases include ODBC libraries, so this may be the only module you
need; it supports Solid, Adabas, Sybase, Oracle, and even MySQL.)

--
Randolph Bentson
bentson at holmsjoen.com

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org