SPUG: A refreshing look at a file system

Showell30 at aol.com Showell30 at aol.com
Wed Oct 25 17:20:04 CDT 2000

Maybe some sort of two-window Javascript setup could make the META=REFRESH
solution work.  The controlling window would refresh often, and then, only if
it got actual new data, the controlling window would refresh the main window.
 Haven't this thought this through too much, but I throw it out as food for
thought.

I worked on one project once where we had a browser-based solution to monitor
live trace data, and we were able to make it work using non-parsed headers
and other such things.  We eventually rewrote it to be traditional
client-server w/sockets, and I was glad we did it.  (I used Win/MFC for
client, Solaris/Perl for the middle tier).  It was an internal app, though,
so no firewall issues.   Mainly I liked the client-server app better due to
being able to add more GUI features that the users liked, but also the server
code became simpler once the client got smarter (no CGI/less keeping track of
state).

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org