SPUG: generating output with a cgi script

Richard Anderson starfire at zipcon.net
Mon Oct 2 21:27:08 CDT 2000

Not always.  If your webmaster has configured the Apache setuid module, any
CGI process the server starts will be owned by the owner of the CGI script.
So the CGI process can read a file that is owned by your userid and has no
group or world permissions.  This is the way that most enlightened ISPs
configure Apache.  (But not NW Nexus, which is why I am no longer one of
their customers.)

Richard.Anderson at raycosoft.com
www.zipcon.net/~starfire/home (personal)
www.raycosoft.com (corporate)