SPUG: LWP::Simple too simple?

Andy Jacobs andyj at microsoft.com
Tue May 16 11:54:02 CDT 2000

I've had a script that uses get() from LWP::Simple.  It's been working
great, until sometime about last week.  Now, the GIF's that I retrieve with
get() are only showing a few course lines at the top (like GIFs look in a
browser when it first starts to download them, in browsers that show the
progressive data).  I looked (briefly) at the Simple.PM file, and saw a
timeout of 60 (I assume seconds).  When my script runs, it is spending much
less than 60 seconds on each get(), leading me to believe it's not timing
out.  When I bring up a web page that references the same GIFs, from the
same machine running the script, they appear in full.  This is happening
consistently for GIFs from at least two unrelated sites.

My script mails a Web page with GIFs via SMTP.  Last week, I changed it from
using Net::SMTP explicitly, to using MIME::Lite's SMTP features (which
weren't present when I first wrote the script).  This is about the time I
noticed the change, but can't be sure that this did it (and don't have a
copy of my previous version).

Any ideas what might be going wrong or how to fix it?  Thanks.

 - Andy