SPUG: Perl run time error

Daniel Pommert dpommert at courtlink.com
Thu May 11 10:04:38 CDT 2000

(For those who can get their hands on the source more
easily than I:)

I have a large server application that takes a request,
forks, processes a bunch of data, generating a lot of
internal structures and then writes the results.

When it is done, it attempts to clip its reference
cycles to the best of its (actual my) ability so that
the final garbage collection will go as quickly as
possible.  I also do this so that a non-forking
engine version of this server will not have (so much
of) a memory leak.

Whenever my process completes and is in its DESTROY
and garbage collection phase, I get one or two
lines of:

Attempt to free non-existent shared string during global destruction.

splain has not heard of this error message, apparently.

It is interesting that I get one line of this message
if the server only gets one sub-request but it writes
two lines if it gets two or three sub-requests.  With
each sub-request, another module is require'd, depending
on the type of the sub-request.  As it presently turns
out, all of the sub-requests for a given request will
require the same file.

As another note, this is a largish app of about 100,000
lines and about 30,000 lines of non-comment, non-POD,
non-blank code running in 20MB-40MB.

Any ideas?

-- Daniel Pommert
 BESTnet.com