SPUG: Slice of an arrary within a hash?

ced at carios2.ca.boeing.com ced at carios2.ca.boeing.com
Fri May 5 20:14:28 CDT 2000

> -w is a great tool, but I don't put it in the
> shebang line of my perl scripts.  This is because
> it turns on warnings for *all* Perl involved in
> the script, which includes all use'd modules and
> all modules the use'd modules use, and so on.
> Also, it will sometimes warn me about things that
> I know are okay.

> You can turn off the warnings temporarily by
> local'izing the $^W variable around code you
> know might generate a warning.  But at work
> there are some older modules that are crufty
> and generate lots of (allowable) warnings.
> So I get tired of reading a page of warnings
> I already know about every time I run the script.
> (yes I realize someone should go fix the old
> modules :-)

> My solution?  When I'm stumped on a debug or want
>  to verify my code before
> checking into production, I run
>  perl -cw myscript

Very true.

I was delighted though to hear that 5.6 offers
lexical warnings so you can control many of
these toxic spills:

For instance, I believe I remember:

   no warnings qw(uninitialied); ...

will turn off those pesky "Use of uninitialized.."
warnings while retaining others you do want to
see.

Rgds,
--
Charles DeRykus

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org
 SUBSCRIBE/UNSUBSCRIBE: Replace "action" below by subscribe or unsubscribe
           Email to majordomo at pm.org: "action" spug-list your_address