SPUG: Re: SPUG@cpan.org and Meeting ideas

Lorraine Johnson lorraine at nw.saic.com
Mon Jul 17 11:36:33 CDT 2000

At 05:04 PM 7/16/00 -0700, Andy Jacobs wrote:
>I'd be willing to teach/lead a meeting, but don't know how I could best
>contribute.  I teach a 3-hour beginning Perl class [...]

I think Brian has a great idea; I'd love to be involved.  As a Perl newbie,
the chance to work with (and learn from) others on Perl code is VERY
appealing.  (I'm not a programming newbie, though.  Can anyone still say
"FORTRAN" or "VMS"?)

The books I have are fine, but (for example) working through the Gecko
exercises, I would find that the answer in the back often used more
advanced syntax than I had mastered just by reading the chapter.  It's not
that I can't figure out A way to do something, it's just that I know there
must be a better or tighter way to do it, as well.  If anyone (Andy?) wants
to try to address this topic, that would be helpful to me.

Finally, I'd like to add that I've been to two ESPUG meetings and Damian
Conway's OO seminar.  (With two Conway events, maybe this isn't terribly
representative, but....) My impression has been of a very open and friendly
group.  I've had people I haven't actually MET start up conversations with
me that made me feel like we were long lost friends catching up on old
times.  I certainly don't think I would be made to feel unwelcome for any
reason - not for being ignorant of the evening's topic (the BEST reason to
go) and not for being "unprepared" (sit in front and pick it up, is my
motto). Thank you all.

Cheers!

Lorraine
J. Lorraine Johnson