SPUG: Meeting ideas

Andy Jacobs andyj at microsoft.com
Sun Jul 16 19:04:05 CDT 2000

I'd be willing to teach/lead a meeting, but don't know how I could best
contribute.  I teach a 3-hour beginning Perl class (which I could do in two
parts, or something), but suspect that most of this would be too basic for
most members.  I'm not a Guru, but probably land somewhere between
Intermediate and Advanced.  I'm not very good at Perl Golf, but can usually
answer most specific Perl questions.  Would people be interested in an
E?SPUG meeting where members should just bring any questions they have -
where I would attempt to answer it, and would accept additional
corrections/answers/comments from the audience or a panel, etc. (I'm
assuming there'll at least be a couple that I get wrong or can't answer)?

Or, if most members think they're beyond this level, perhaps it could be a
general discussion meeting, where people could ask for ideas for ways to
solve various problems, which would be opened up to general discussion.

Or, perhaps we could hold our own Perl Golf tournament, with as many random
teams as those who can bring laptops to the meeting.  Or some other team
programming competition.

I'm probably not unique in being able to lead any of these, but at least I'm
volunteering... :-)

 - Andy Jacobs

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org