SPUG: File headers

Steve Laybourn otter101 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 15:52:07 CST 2000

Hello again!
   I'm wondering if there is a way to be able to open a remote file long
enough to get the first 256 bytes and close the record again.
Example:
   If I wanted to scan the first 1024 bytes of

http://www.arglebargle.com/images/very_big_graphic.jpg

to make sure it WAS a JPEG file without having to load the entire image,
could it be done? If so, how? open / read don't seem to do it.
   Thanks, oh mighty ones!
   Be seeing you...
   Steve Laybourn

---Remember: King Kong died for your sins.