SPUG: class methods

Andrew Sweger andy at n2h2.com
Thu Jan 27 02:35:17 CST 2000

And to keep the VOLUME turned way up...

Please note that,

Some::Package->method(@args);

and

&Some::Package::method("Some::Package", @args);

are the same thing (if not, I'm sure I'll hear about it). They're exactly
the same thing. When you make the call using the first example, the class
(or package name) is passed to the function in that package as the first
argument in @_. Gah! Oh, that wasn't as clear on the second reading. Just
pretend, if you write it as in the first example, that it is magically
transformed into the second when it's executed.

Perl's object orientedness is merely syntactic sugar to help you more
easily think in terms of OO design.

Of course, if you've been using "->" and telling everyone that you're
really using "::", some people are going to talk about you behind your
terminal.

"If you fork a child and don't reap them when they die, you end up with
zombies."

--
  Andrew Sweger <andy at n2h2.com>  |  N2H2, Incorporated
  v=206.336.2947 f=206.336.1541  |  900 Fourth Avenue, Suite 3400

    POST TO: spug-list at pm.org        PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org