SPUG: modems

William Graham billg at vitessa.net
Wed Jan 5 19:49:25 CST 2000

Hi, Peter --

Lucent, for one, has released a binary for one of their WinModems for Linux.
If yours is a Lucent, usually known as an "LTWinmodem", this may work -- it
works on the one built into my Compaq Presario 1930 notebook running Redhat
6.1, Kernel 2.2.12.  A friend has a newish Toshiba model running Slackware
4.0, though, and the Lucent driver doesn't work.

here's the url:
http://linmodems.org

Look for the "Vendor linmodems" section, and get Lucent's file
"linx565a.zip" (yes, it's a zip file for some reason -- use unzip instead of
gunzip to extract the files under Linux).

Also note that there is significant effort going towards getting these
things working under Linux, so keep checking the site for more breakthroughs
...  ;-)

Best Regards,
Bill Graham

p.s. first post, but I've been lurking for a while.  I do Java / Oracle
ecommerce stuff by day, Perl / Linux / MySQL by night :).  I hope to meet
you folks at a meeting soon ... thanks for this forum -- I'm learning tons
just from lurking!