SPUG: mysql

marlin marlingreene at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 25 20:05:18 CDT 2000

OK... first thanks to those who help me a few days ago with the "mysql
won't start" problem.

It still won't start--that is at machine reboot or startup.

It will start manually if I type in "safe_mysqld -u root"

Fact about this case:

1. The mysql config file has the line "mysql_daemon_user=mysql"
2. Watching the lines at startup reveals that mysql daemon starts,
then immediately stops.
3. This can be confirmed if (after logging on) I try to start the
mysql daemon from the cmd line with "safe_mysqld start" -- I see
"starting mysql" then immediately "stopping mysql" just like when
the startup script is executing.
4. I can make it run from the cmd line with "safe_mysqld start -u root"

Can anyone explain why it won't start automatically, as directed by
the startup config, before anyone is logged in?

I am concerned that something is configured incorrectly, but I don't
know where else to look. I have tried changing the owner of mysql folder
and data files to "mysql" and that doesn't seem to matter.

Thanks...

Marlin

--
	3 Hats Design