SPUG: Spug CPAN

Colin Meyer cmeyer at helvella.org
Wed Aug 16 13:23:01 CDT 2000

John,

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 09:47:39AM -0700, John Cokos wrote:
> Just some thoughts on the CPAN module to be written ...

> a Wrapper for DBI.  I've gotten a good start on this, but it's
> really a mess and needs TLC.  Anyone that's coded with DBD
> can relate to it's shortcommings, and how much code it can take
> to get simple things done.  The module I propose is a wrapper.

I have played with this idea a bit in the past.  The most interesting
version that I came up with was a meta-data mapping for data-bearing
objects so they could auto-generate sql & make DBI calls to
read/insert/update themselves.  The style of meta-data maps I used
ended up being a bit cumbersome, but it was still easier than
hand-writing all of the sql.  Unfortunately, this module is owned by a
large telco.

Are you familiar with any of the DBIx:: wrappers that are available on
the CPAN?  I have not used any of them, but several look quite
interesting:

DBIx::Recordset - lots of DWIMity, designed with the idea of
webforms in mind.
DBIx::Tree - translates tree style structures to relational dbs.
DBIx::Schema - pulls/puts data from/to multiple tables at a time.
and on and on...

-C.

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org