SPUG: more regx stuff

Gary Varnell gary at 2dgs.com
Wed Sep 22 19:46:03 CDT 1999

Hello fellow SPUGers
After last nights meeting I decided to do some regx test.
I have to admit I had a hard time predicting the results.
If any one would like the source code that produced the following let me
know.
It is pretty basic stuff!

Here are two regx test on a list of space seperated names:
tom jones mike smith carl nelson dan strange merylin james

The first two examples assign the results to an array
Remeber, since we are assigning to an array 0 = 1 or the first position
in array

Here is the # of matches found using /(S+)/g
9

Here is the # of matches found using /(S+)/
0

Same as above with results assigned to a scaler variable

Here is the # of matches found using /(S+)/g
1

Here is the # of matches found using /(S+)/
1

Supprised?

Gary Varnell
  Digital Graphics Studios   (DGS)