SPUG: question regarding using reg exp in "if" statements.

Daniel V. Ebert debert at dusya.osd.com
Fri Sep 10 16:16:27 CDT 1999

I have written an "if" statement:

if ($string eq "") { whatever;}
else{ something else;}

to check for blank entries in a form CGI.  This works except that " "
doesn't satisfy the if statemenet condition.

What I really want is (in plain English) is:
if ($string is only white space)

I've tried stuff like:

if($string eq /\s/)
if($string ne /\w/)
if($string eq m/\s/)
if($string ne m/\w/)
etc.
but they don't work.  I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't
figure it out.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

---
Dan Ebert <debert at seanet.com> or <mathin at mathin.com>
Seanet Internet Services

    POST TO: spug-list at pm.org        PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org