SPUG: Stand-By Seats, Perl/UNIX Training, Dec in Seattle

Tim Maher/CONSULTIX tim at consultix-inc.com
Sat Nov 27 18:34:56 CST 1999

From:   Tim Maher, CONSULTIX
To:     Former and Future Students
RE:     Complimentary Training on UNIX & Perl

Our company provides instructor-led software training classes,
primarily in on-site offerings for Fortune 500 companies, but also
in public classes in the greater Seattle area.

Although most of our training classes fill up rapidly, sometimes
we have empty seats left over as class time approaches - especially
around the holidays!  But instead of running a class with empty seats,
we'd rather put grateful people in them.  In fact, we've trained
hundreds of "stand-by" students on this basis, including seven this
past October alone.

Why do we offer complimentary software training?

To:
* give new corporate clients a chance to observe the quality of
	our services,
* help budget-strapped individuals obtain the training they need, and
* give something back to the OpenSource movement (trained individuals!)

We're currently anticipating some openings for complimentary seats in
the following classes:
   *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
          CLASS                             DATES         LOCATION
  UNIX Fundamentals                     12/07-12/10/99    Kirkland
  Perl Programming, plus Modules        12/13-12/16/99     Seattle
  Adv. Pattern Matching with Perl          12/17/19/99     Seattle
   *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

Course outlines are provided below (and are also available from our
Web-site.)

HOW TO APPLY FOR COMPLIMENTARY TRAINING
If you're interested in being considered for a complimentary seat,
visit our Web page, read the Terms carefully, and fill out the
Application Form.

PAID REGISTRATION AVAILABLE TOO!
If you don't feel lucky but still want to attend one of our classes,
you can register in the usual way at our Web-site:
        http://www.consultix-inc.com

Course outlines follow . . .  Happy Holidays!

*============================================================*
| Tim Maher, PhD  Consultix &   (206) 781-UNIX/8649          |
|  Pacific Software Gurus, Inc  Email: tim at consultix-inc.com |
|  UNIX/Linux & Perl Training   http://www.consultix-inc.com |
|Classes: 12/7 UNIX Fund; 12/13 Perl+Modules; 1/18 Int. Perl |
*============================================================*

                          UNIX FUNDAMENTALS
                            by CONSULTIX
                     http://www.consultix-inc.com
                    Next Offering: Dec. 7-10, 1999
                          Kirkland, WA  USA
DESCRIPTION

This lecture/lab course teaches computer users to make productive
use of the UNIX operating system.  The most important and empowering
concepts, such as pattern matching, command editing, shell scripting,
and pipelines are emphasized, alongside coverage of basic OS utilities
and services.  40% of class time is spent in supervised laboratory
activities, with students using a Korn (POSIX) shell interface to UNIX.
(The course does not cover the use of windowing interfaces to UNIX.)

Although this is intended as a first course in UNIX, it is especially
well suited for those who wish to become "power users", Programmers,
or System-, Database-, Network-, or Web-Administrators.  The course
material is applicable to all UNIX and UNIX-like systems (including
Linux).

PREREQUISITES

A conceptual understanding of elementary computer terms, such as
memory, disk storage, and time-sharing.  Typing skills are beneficial,
as is familiarity with other operating systems, such as DOS and
its relatives.

AUTHOR & INSTRUCTOR

Dr. Tim Maher has been an avid user of UNIX since 1976, and, since the
early 80s, he has taught literally thousands of others to make the most
of it.  He has authored 16 UNIX courses, including ones taught by AT&T.

CONSULTIX instructors are renowned for their ability to communicate
complex concepts in simple terms and to make the study of dry technical
material enjoyable.  (http://www.consultix-inc.com/evals.html)

                                TOPICS
        INTRO. to UNIX                  THE VI EDITOR
         History of UNIX                 Creating Files
         Logging In, Logging Out         Modifying Files
         The Password System            THE UNIX SHELLS
         Using the on-line Manual        Shell Comparisons
         Accessing the Printer           Quoting Techniques
        THE UNIX FILESYSTEM              Shell Scripts
         File Types                      Startup Files
         Pathnames                       Variables
         Permissions                     Aliases
         User and Group IDs              History Substitutions
        FILE UTILITIES                   Command Editing
         ls, find, chmod                 Filename Wildcards
         cp, mv                          I/O Redirection
         cat, more, head, tail           Pipelines
         rm, rmdir, mkdir                Background Execution
        UNIX NETWORKING                  Job Control
         TCP/IP                         REGULAR EXPRESSIONS
         ping Command                    grep Command
         E-Mail                          sed Command
         Firewalls                       Using with VI Editor
         Proxies                        THE PROCESS HIERARCHY
         Remote Access Commands          The ps Command
          rsh, rlogin, rcp               Process Priorities
          ssh, slogin, scp               Process Control

                PERL PROGRAMMING, Plus "MODULES" (4 days)
                            by CONSULTIX
                     http://www.consultix-inc.com
                 Next Offering: December 13-16, 1999
                             Seattle, WA  USA

DESCRIPTION

PERL is a popular and powerful language that can be applied to
a wide range of data processing problems.   Students will learn
the basic features of PERL and gain experience in writing typical
applications that validate data, generate reports, convert text files,
and perform numerical analyses.  This class consists of our basic
Perl Programming class plus additional material on Perl Modules .
Lecture and lab sessions emphasize the "Getopt" (option processing),
"Text" (simple text formatting), "LWP" (Internet access) and "CGI"
(Web-page form-handling) modules.

WHO SHOULD ATTEND

Students should have at least 6 months of prior experience with UNIX,
be competent users of the VI editor, and have prior programming
experience in a modern high-level language (C, AWK, Shell, etc.).
The course is intended for UNIX programmers, system administrators,
network administrators, data administrators, and webmasters.

AUTHOR & INSTRUCTORS

Dr. Tim Maher has been working with the interpreted languages of UNIX
for over 20 years.  He has used them to write many sophisticated
applications, including a user interface for U.C. Berkeley
undergraduates and source code beautifiers for Perl and C++.  As the
founder and head of Consultix, Tim regularly teaches courses on a
wide variety of UNIX topics.

                          COURSE TOPICS

        Language Features               Programming Applications
          Data Types                      General Scripting
          Conditional Execution           Text Processing
          Files & Pipelines               File Conversion
          Variables and Arrays            Number Crunching
          Flow Control                    Data Validation
          Subroutines                     Report Generation
          Fields and Records              Option Processing
          Input & Output                  Text Formatting
          Regular Expressions             Generating Web Pages
        Perl Modules                      CGI Form Creation
          Getopt, Text, LWP               CGI Form Processing
          CGI, Benchmark . . .

             ADVANCED PATTERN MATCHING With PERL (1 day)
                             by CONSULTIX
                     http://www.consultix-inc.com
                   Next Offering: December 17, 1999
                           Seattle, WA  USA

DESCRIPTION

This class shows Perl programmers how to use advanced features
of Perl's Regular Expression notation, matching and substitution
operators, and the split operator.  Practical applications of these
skills to typical data processing tasks are emphasized in hands-on
lab sessions.

WHO SHOULD ATTEND

Students should have at least 6 months of prior experience with Perl,
and be competent users of the VI editor.  The course is intended
for UNIX programmers, system administrators, network administrators,
data administrators, and webmasters.

AUTHOR & INSTRUCTOR

Dr. Tim Maher has been working with the interpreted languages of UNIX
for over 20 years.  He has used them to write many sophisticated
applications, including a user interface for U.C. Berkeley
undergraduates and source code beautifiers for Perl and C++.  As the
founder and head of Consultix, Tim regularly teaches courses on a
wide variety of UNIX topics.

Consultix instructors are renowned for their ability to communicate
complex concepts in simple terms and to make the study of dry technical
material enjoyable.

                        COURSE TOPICS

  line-anchors          capturing ()            matching modes
  string-anchors        non-capturing ()        fuzzy matching
  word-anchors          stingy matching         pattern ranges
  back-references       lookahead               match variables
  grouping              split delimiters        RE efficiency

--

    POST TO: spug-list at pm.org        PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org