SPUG: and now, for something completely different:

jimfl jimfl at colltech.com
Fri Aug 13 11:18:15 CDT 1999

--On Fri, Aug 13, 1999 1:57 AM -0700 Ryan Forsythe <ryan2 at webrocket.net>
wrote:

     > i was wondering what everybody out there uses for perl decelopment
     > (okay, let's narrow it down -- what do you use if it isn't emacs or
     > vi?).  specifically, do you know of anything better for linux than
     > the text editor for kde (which just colors all the different
     > elements of the script, like all the variables are blue and all the
     > strings are red, stuff like that).

I use gvim, which supports syntax highlighting, and a little script I wrote
which pipes the buffer through 'perl -c', determines the line number of any
errors, and puts a comment containing the error on the line above the
error.

The comments begin with the string '#PLCK: '

I can then seach for the comments in the file and fix all the errors. When
the script is run again, it strips out error comments which no longer apply.

--
Jim Flanagan         Collective Technologies
jimfl at colltech.com   http://www.colltech.com

    POST TO: spug-list at pm.org        PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org