SPUG: FWD: FYI

Jafaar Nyang'oro seppy at mail.TANZATECH.COM
Tue Aug 3 15:07:10 CDT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Ronald Gochenouer [mailto:rongoch at webtv.net]
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 1999 3:46 AM
To: bhurley at queens.org; CalnSue at aol.com; dewvick at aol.com;
SoJoWy21 at aol.com; codafam at aol.com; glsecor at lava.net; jo at tfs.net;
gizmo316 at aol.com; leahcvp at lavanet.com; bringor at queens.org;
gochel at aol.com; martin14elena at hotmail.com; KAMANAKA at aol.com;
marseilles.assoc at juno.com; stboggs at aol.com; earthangel at hawaii.rr.com;
Idefoster at aol.com; fireaks at aol.com; trmanoagal at webtv.net
Subject: FYI

For your information and protection:
I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying
himself as an AT&T Service technician who was conducting a test on our
telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test, I should touch
nine (9), zero (0), the pound sign (#) and then hang up. Luckily, I was
suspicious and refused. Upon contacting the telephone company, I was
informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting individual full
access
to your telephone line, which allows them to place long distance calls
billed to your home phone number. I was further informed that this scam
has
been originating from many of the local jails/prisons. I have also
verified this information with UCB telecomm, Pacific Bell,MCI,Bell,
Atlantic, GTE and NYNEX. Please beware. DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE. The
GTE Security Department requested that I share this information with
EVERYONE I KNOW. PLEASE pass this on to everyone
YOU know. If you have mailing lists and/or newsletters from
organizations you are connected with, I encourage you to pass this
information on to them,
too.

Ronald Gochenouer

    POST TO: spug-list at pm.org        PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org