[Southampton-pm] Devel::Cover

Tim Retout tim at retout.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 14:18:47 PDT 2012

On 26 September 2012 10:19, Lance Wicks <lw at judocoach.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Anyone on the list use Developer::Cover? I'm looking for some help getting
> started with it and wondered if anyone had experience with it or knew of
> some good tutorials?

Yes!  Are you looking for help running it, or interpreting the output?

The first place I'd start would be the pod on CPAN:

http://search.cpan.org/~pjcj/Devel-Cover-0.96/lib/Devel/Cover.pm#SYNOPSIS

That link gives you the most common use case, which is running Devel::Cover
with an automated test suite.  But there are other possible uses, like
plugging it into a web server to see coverage of manual testing.  It all
boils down to getting the module loaded so that it can trace which
lines/branches/subs are executed, using e.g. "export
PERL5OPT=-MDevel::Cover".  Then you run "cover" to generate the report.

For more about what the numbers mean, try the tutorial:

http://search.cpan.org/~pjcj/Devel-Cover-0.96/lib/Devel/Cover/Tutorial.pod

Hope that helps,

--
Tim Retout <tim at retout.co.uk>