[SP-pm] E-Commerce Perl

Daniel Mantovani daniel.oliveira.mantovani at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 10:20:22 PST 2011

Depois de alguma pesquisa eu cheguei a conclusao,

	- E-Commerces geralmente sao especificos para cada regra de negocio de cada empresa;
	- Existem E-Commerces escritos em Perl e o resultado disso sao trechos de codigos no CPAN;
	- O CPAN fornece todas as ferramentas para voce desenvolver o seu proprio "custom ecommerce", em pouquissimo tempo.

15:50 < mstratman> danielmantovani: my guess is there simply isn't a large demand for turnkey e-commerce solutions.  If one of those will work for you, there's already a popular
                   one (oscommerce) to use.  But most of the time, people need more custom solutions.
15:50 < mstratman> wh
15:51 < mstratman> which requires development - and, for solutions written in Perl, all the major building blocks are available right there on the CPAN.
15:52 < mstratman> i.e. it's usually easier to piece together those blocks (CPAN modules) alongside the needed custom code, than it is to try to customize a pre-existing suite of
                   packaged software (a turnkey "solution")
15:53 < danielmantovani> mstratman: /win 2
15:54 < danielmantovani> mstratman: well, I agree but... do you think there isn't demman enough to an ecommerce  ?
15:57 < danielmantovani> http://bit.ly/uSZ79k
15:57 < mstratman> If somebody were to invest time and money into developing a turn-key ecommerce "product".. who would it benefit? And how would it benefit them in ways osCommerce
                   (or other existing stuff) cannot?
15:57 < danielmantovani> I think this is very nice to Perl Community
15:57 < danielmantovani> bring companys to Perl
15:58 < danielmantovani> or Perl to the companys
15:58 < mstratman> but these would be companies who don't have developers, right?
15:58 < danielmantovani> I thing the two
15:58 -!- gaussblurinc [~chatzilla em 89.249.165.173] has quit [Quit: ChatZilla 0.9.87 [Firefox 8.0.1/20111120135848]]
15:58 < danielmantovani> like you said, the guys need custom code
15:58 < mstratman> if a company that has no developers is going to install a piece of software and use it, without customizations... it doesn't matter to anyone anywhere what
                   language it's written in.
15:58 < danielmantovani> but if we have a "base"
15:59 < danielmantovani> yes
15:59 < danielmantovani> I think we need a "starter point"
15:59 < mstratman> But my argument is that anything involving custom code is equally easy to write using the CPAN. If not *easier*.
15:59 < mstratman> you do. It's the CPAN
16:00 < mstratman> catalyst + session code + db code + payment processor code + template code + .... etc. :)
16:01 < ribasushi> danielmantovani: the devil is in the details
16:01 < mstratman> Anyhow... this is simply why I believe nobody has bothered to spend much time on Yet Another turn-key ecommerce software, just to have one in Perl. :)
16:01  * danielmantovani hate details
16:01 < ribasushi> danielmantovani: if everything was as simple as pieceing stuff of cpan together, 95% of this irc network would be out of work
16:02 < ribasushi> there is this btw http://search.cpan.org/~claco/Handel-1.00013/lib/Handel.pm
16:02 < danielmantovani> mstratman: if you have a small store and will need a ecommerce plataform, what should be your solution ?
16:04 < mstratman> It depends on what exactly I wanted. If I wanted something an off-the-shelf solution could take care of, I'd install one.  Otherwise I'd write one using a web
                   framework and other foundational tools from the cpan.

--
Software Engineer
Just Another Perl Hacker