[SP-pm] Res: Pirataria de Livros, aqui não! [Was: Boas Vindas ao Igor]

Nelson Ferraz nferraz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 02:00:15 PDT 2010

Vamos com calma, pessoal.

O próprio Tim O'Reilly, fundador da O'Reilly, afirma claramente:

"Piracy is a loaded word, which we used to reserve for wholesale
copying and resale of illegitimate product. The music and film
industry usage, applying it to peer-to-peer file sharing, is a
disservice to honest discussion.

Online file sharing is the work of enthusiasts who are trading their
music because there is no legitimate alternative. Piracy is an illegal
commercial activity that is typically a substantial problem only in
countries without strong enforcement of existing copyright law.

At O'Reilly, we publish many of our books in online form. There are
people who take advantage of that fact to redistribute unpaid copies.
(The biggest problem, incidentally, is not on file sharing networks,
but from copies of our CD Bookshelf product line being put up on
public Web servers, or copied wholesale and offered for sale on eBay.)
While these pirated copies are annoying, they hardly destroy our
business. We've found little or no abatement of sales of printed books
that are also available for sale online."

Ou seja: nas palavras de O'Reilly, copiar livros, filmes e música para
seu uso pessoal é bem diferente de distribuir cópias não autorizadas
comercialmente. E em nenhum caso deveríamos usar a palavra
"pirataria", pois esta é uma palavra carregada de preconceito. De
acordo com Richard Stallman:

"Publishers often refer to copying they don't approve of as “piracy.”
In this way, they imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking
ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them.
Based on such propaganda, they have procured laws in most of the world
to forbid copying in most (or sometimes all) circumstances. (They are
still pressuring to make these prohibitions more complete.)

If you don't believe that copying not approved by the publisher is
just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word
“piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “unauthorized copying”
(or “prohibited copying” for the situation where it is illegal) are
available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a
positive term such as “sharing information with your neighbor.”"

Portanto, se você quer aprender sobre um assunto, e não tem dinheiro
para comprar o livro -- copie, sem arrependimento.

Não acredite na propaganda da indústria de copyright, e não promova
esta idéia anti-social de que ajudar um amigo é o equivalente moral de
atacar e roubar um navio.

Nelson