[Santa-rosa-pm] Newbie-Asking for Help-Is this Improper

pk pk92009 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 23:11:34 PDT 2009

Newbie-Asking for Help-Is this Improper?

Sent this originally to RJW who may have posted prior to my joining the
list. Apologies all around if I'm improperly posting or if it is duped.

I've been trying to get installed/running a perl app and have been
unsuccessful to date and am looking for some help. I have a small budget
for it or hopefully someone competent will see the value to the greater
good and assist as it is a quasi not for profit project(more on that later)

The App Background
It is an opensource app called FoodClub, Developed by an individual in
Portland, FoodClub.org. The newer ver. of the app is currently running
live on his server which has been forked from the opensource earlier
ver. that I have. The developer decided last year or so to furhter
develop it as a closed propriety service that he is developing to sell
subscriptions to(a typical bus. model), yet the orig app is still
opensource. So I have the source code for the latest opensource ver. of it.

My Background
I've been involved with non profit work for many years and I co-started
the LCCOOP (Lake County Coop) and setup their buying club as a way to
build local consensus for an actual food co-op Storefront. In '08 I
found this opensource buying club app that is written in Perl. The app
sits on top of a LAMP Server running mod-perl(may only need cgi now). It
enables buying clubs the ability to "Share/split" purchases of case lots.

The original developer sent me the source code and I started my search
for a programmer(with some initial success) to have someone assist to
put it on my hosted server and work at the update of it's features,
several non programmers tried and couldn't get it to work, so this time
around I set up my own lamp server and was going to try to get it
installed and then modified to be more feature rich. It, the app is
adequate and functional(to get started on), but not robust. I also in
'08 took the app and put a fork on sourceforge to develop it further as
strictly opensource, but that fizzled and I then left the co-op, but it
is still up there at sourceforge and I'm still committed to get it
running if is possible.

So the bottom line is that I need some help to get it installed, asap,
on a mod-perl'D (My server at the store (90% setup and configured) or a
hosted site that allows root access that will allow mod-perl to be
installed) so we can get the buying club running and THEN look at the
options to modify it or integrate the app or duplicate the feature-set
into a opensource shopping cart, like Magento...

I've been told it should take a few hours to evaluate it, and get it
installed and debugged and running. If you want to look at it I could
forward the app over, totals about 65k So if you could recommend anyone
in the group that might be interested in helping. I have some funds for
the project as stated, but we are a start up and funds are limited and
it is a quasi not for profit project.

Thanks for taking the time to read and consider this.

So if anyone is interested to help you could give me a call when you get
a min. or by email. I'm usually at the store from 7:30a on thur. and
9:30a other days to 8p..10p..11p..Midnight every day, ie. 12-15-18 hrs
p/day 7days.

707-987-4939
Patrick
Earth Goods/Moontide Health Foods