Perl class at the JC

George Woolley george at metaart.org
Tue Jan 6 15:54:32 CST 2004

Thanks.
I somehow had missed the emergence of PERL.
Memo to self:  bad on me. try to pay attention.
Memo to self:  start to use the Inline::PERL module.

It is in the interest of encouraging this new (?) technology
that I make the following proposals:

Whereas, when it comes right down to it,
no warnings or strictures are really really necessary,
and whereas positive reinforcement is often effective,
and whereas negative reinforcement is mostly a waste of time anyway,
I therefore propose that:

(1) All warnings and strictures be permanently removed from PERL.
(2) PERL generate the message "Hello World!"
whenever it is hopelessly confused
and/or can't think of anything nice to say.

Notes:
(a) Those who favor warnings
can always interpret "Hello World!" as ominous,
which now that I think of it ...
(b) Those who favor strictures
might best turn to such scriptures as
"Perl, the first postmodern computer language"
[See   http://www.wall.org/~larry/pm.html   ]
Or how about any of the scriptures Larry Wall lists
under Culture on his PERL page.
[See   http://www.wall.org/~larry/perl.html   ]
Or perhaps someone knows
of some specifically PERL scriptures.
(c) Who knows what wondrous programs will be created
by PERL programmers given such positive reinforcement?!
(d) I am not set on the content of the message
as long as it's normal interpretation is positive.
For example, any of the six scriptures
that Larry Wall lists under Culture on his Perl page
seem to meet my criteria,
though some may consider them a tad long.
(e) It has been suggested that the song "Alice's Restaurant"
be used as the message.
While I personally like the song,
I think threats by listener sposored radio stations to play it
if short term goals are not met,
make it an inappropriate choice.
(f) One argument in favor of "Hello World!" as the message
is that new PERL programmers
writing the hello world program as their first program
would be more likely to succeed.

Long live PERL.

George of Oakland.pm and Camelot.pm