[sf-perl] The SF Perl Raku Study Group, 01/31 at 1pm PDT

Joseph Brenner doomvox at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 11:39:11 PST 2021

>From the introduction to "Naming, Necessity, and Natural
Kinds" (1977), edited by Stephen P. Schwartz:

"Putnam extends the theory to natural kind terms.  His
view is that we 'baptise' what we take to be good
examples or paradigms of some substance such as water
and then use 'water' to refer to whatever has the same
nature as the paradigms.  When we introduce the term it
is not necessary to know the nature of the stuff we are
naming.  We hope that such knowledge will come with
empirical scientific investigations."

The Raku Study Group

Januray 31, 2021  1pm in California, 9pm in the UK

Zoom meeting link:
  https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87537987215?pwd=TEtCaGlZaHhwbUl3eDNXcWZORzExQT09

Passcode: 4RakuRoll

RSVPs are useful, though not needed: