[sf-perl] Programmer's guide to Perl I/O

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sat Oct 10 23:34:00 PDT 2020

On 2020-10-10 22:47, Joseph Brenner wrote:

> David Christensen wrote:

>> I am looking for a programmer's guide to input/ output on current
>> versions of Perl:

>> I feel that I need to understand the "big picture", the details --
>> "layers", binary/ character mode, encoding (UTF-8), etc., -- and
>> the various generalized forms -- console, files, and network
>> connections, etc..  I am looking for a style of presentation that
>> covers the principles and concepts of I/O in general, and then
>> covers the design and implementation of the Perl I/O subsystem(s)
>> specifically.  While I would expect such to contain examples, I am
>> not looking for a tutorial. A practical goal is to learn how to use
>> PerlIO::*, IO::*, and/or other modules effectively.

> Have you looked at the perlapio page?
>
> https://perldoc.perl.org/perlapio
>
> If you want some help understanding unicode and i/o layers I might
> be able to help with that, but I suspect you want to drill down
> deeper than I've gone into what's going on-- e.g. it occurs to me
> that I don't even know how big your buffer is if you use standard
> buffered output.

Thanks for the link.  :-)

I have been reading a related document that cross-links with the above:

     https://perldoc.perl.org/perliol

Both cover an important piece of the puzzle, and are probably the
canonical documents for understanding the I/O layer system.  So, they
are useful for those details.

Both appear to be C/XS.  I am hoping to work in pure Perl.

There are some key points related to 'open' and 'binmode', and advice
for UTF-8.

Using the "blind men and an elephant" parable, there seems to be a fair
number of documents that describe various details of Perl I/O; I desire
a document that describes the whole elephant.

David