[sf-perl] Programmer's guide to Perl I/O

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sat Oct 10 21:05:37 PDT 2020

sanfrancisco-pm:

I am looking for a programmer's guide to input/ output on current
versions of Perl:

- Debian 9.13 -- Perl 5.24.1

- FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p10 -- Perl 5.30.3

- macOS 10.15.6 -- Perl 5.18.4

I feel that I need to understand the "big picture", the details --
"layers", binary/ character mode, encoding (UTF-8), etc., -- and the
various generalized forms -- console, files, and network connections,
etc..  I am looking for a style of presentation that covers the
principles and concepts of I/O in general, and then covers the design
and implementation of the Perl I/O subsystem(s) specifically.  While I
would expect such to contain examples, I am not looking for a tutorial.
A practical goal is to learn how to use PerlIO::*, IO::*, and/or other
modules effectively.

I suspect that my printed books are outdated, but I would appreciate any
relevant citations:

- "Programming Perl" 4 e.

- "Learning Perl" 2 e.

- "Intermediate Perl" 1 e.