[sf-perl] Hello everyone!

Scott Walters scott at illogics.org
Mon Nov 30 15:19:44 PST 2015

I'm in Phoenix over Christmas but haven't booked Amtrak yet.  I should
be here until Dec 21st.  Then I'll be back again some time after
Christmas, and likely vaguely around for a year or two.  How's that
for vague plans?

As for topics, I like to offer a menu.  I did an Everything Perl Has,
It Stole From SNOBOL talk for Frozen Perl a while back.  It's half
serious and hasn't been done outside of there.  I have a joke
Lightning Talk I haven't given yet (wasn't approved), More Continuous
than Continuous Integration.  I'm always grateful for a chance to
re-attempt a talk I butchered, such as Building Applications using
WebGUI 8 as an Application Framework (or whatever its actual title
was) or Perl Games.  I could also talk about the tech behind the Tempe
Bike Count and related research.

Probably won't make it to Silicon Valley before Christmas but good to
know about it.

Hi Mike!  Good to hear from you.  Long time since Phoenix.PM.

Hi Joseph!  Thank you for the review way back then =)  Any interest at
all is nice.

Not to argue, but I think problems with prose and structure had more
to do with my lack of experience writing than with haste.  Or
alternatively, maybe the nth re-write of the chapters became hastily.
As far as I'm concerned, the only thing I definitively did right was
correctly predict that Perl 6 was a ways off and would change a lot
before it came out, and refuse to write a straight up Perl 6 book.
Cynicism won that round.  Also, I guess my half-baked Perl 6 examples
became some of the early Pugs unit tests, which is neat.

-s