[sf-perl] Google Trends for Perl

yary not.com at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 05:20:31 PDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:08 AM, Mike Friedman <frimicc at gmail.com> wrote:
>As long as Google traffic goes up overall, *any*
> term with steady query volume will go down over time.

The decline of programming-language queries requires a more subtle
explanation. It's a continuing trend of non-tech people using the 'web
which has been going on since the start. Additional "whole-world"
searches diminish the rank of "tech" searches.

I discovered that when I added "python" to the graph and realized that
most of those searches were for the animal, not the language! It's
pretty close to "snake" in Google-search-history terms.
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=perl%2C%20snake%2C%20python&cmpt=q

And how many programming-Perl searches are typed as "Pearl", and how
many people looking for pearls type "perl"?

Still, Perl can use more positive publicity. My comments should not be
construed as complacency.