[sf-perl] Perl dismissed in latest issue of Linux Journal

Earl Ruby earl at ruby.org
Wed Jun 5 17:56:17 PDT 2013

Linux Journal, June 2013
What's New in Kernel Development

"Recently, Rob Landley tried to remove a Perl dependency that has cropped
up in the Linux build system...and tried...and tried. But, no one appeared
to want his patches. Even Andrew Morton argued against removing the Perl
dependency, in spite of the fact that Rob’s patches replaced the code with
smaller, simpler shell scripts."

"It’s unclear what the reluctance stems from—my understanding always has
been that any chance to remove a dependency from the Linux build system was
a chance worth taking. But apparently, the top kernel developers see a
value in this particular dependency."

"The e-mail thread was a bit of an eye-opener for me personally, because
I’d started to consider Perl to be a legacy language, with no forward
progress on Perl 6, and the language itself essentially stalled."

-- Zack Brown

--
Earl Ruby
http://earlruby.org/