[sf-perl] javadoc for perl?

Russ Tremain russt at releasetools.org
Mon Jan 14 17:46:16 PST 2013

Is it hopeless?

I used to do a fair amount of java programming, and one of the things
I miss, when working on OO perl code, is javadoc (especially working
on someone else's OO perl!).

I don't know why, but pod format seems very unnatural to me for
documenting OO perl.  It reminds me more of nroff.  I prefer having
the doc more tightly coupled with methods/packages/functions.

I've looked at some of the output from
<http://search.cpan.org/~markov/OODoc-2.00/lib/OODoc.pod>OODoc and it
seems to be headed in the right direction, but is not nearly as nice
as javadoc.
<http://perl.overmeer.net/mimetypes/html/jump.cgi?MIME_Types&42>Here
is some example output.

Thoughts?  Generate psuedo java code from OO perl and run it through
javadoc maybe?  Probably the other way (generate perl OO from java
class stubs with doc) would be easier, but I don't think it is
sellable to a perl development team.

-Russ