[sf-perl] Maybe "Perl5" is just like "OS X"

Earl Ruby earl at ruby.org
Fri Feb 8 12:34:05 PST 2013

Alternately, Perl5's next release could be called Perl7, and the Perl6
code base could simply be renamed to PerlZ.

Numeric releases would be "production/mainstream" releases, showing
the public that Perl is moving forward, keeping the current
major/minor version numbering scheme (for packages that rely on
knowing what versions they're running for compatibility reasons).
People who want to work on porting PerlZ's features and code into
mainstream Perl# releases could keep doing so. People who want to work
on the future of Perl could still work on PerlZ with the understanding
that once PerlZ is stable then it would be assigned a number and it
would become the code base for the next "production/mainstream"
release.

Everyone wins.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Joseph Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Fred Moyer <fred at redhotpenguin.com> wrote:
>> Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff at imaginative-software.com> wrote:
>
>>> Imagine: "Perl V Moscow" or "Perl V Sydney".  Only trouble is that "V" still seems tied to "5", more so than "X" does to 10.  But maybe that's just because I'm so used to "5".  Internally, it would still just be 5.whatever.
>>
>> Something like:
>>
>> my $num_ver = 5.16
>> my ($major, $minor) = split(/\./, $num_ver);
>> my @cities = ( qw( Athens Boston Chicago Damascus Edinburgh ... ) );
>> my $city = $cities[$minor];
>
> Yeah, I was just thinking about the Ubuntu naming scheme: in addition
> to numbers, they use animal names in alphabetic order, so you know
> that Ocelot is after Narwhal.
>
> Though I think after they started using names like "Narwhal" people
> started referring to releases by number.

Earl Ruby
http://earlruby.org/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/earlruby
@earlruby