[sf-perl] upgrade hell?

Bryan Beeley bryan at beeley.org
Wed Oct 31 09:55:32 PDT 2012

While I haven't run into this particular situation myself, I would think
that you might save yourself some headache if you remove that "use lib"
line from your code.  It would probably be easier to, at some later
date, put a symlink in place of the /user/local/lib/perl directory that
points to your (at that point newly upgraded) /nas/reg/lib/perl
directory, rather than have to hard code all your scripts.
Alternatively, you could set the PERL5LIB environment variable in the
user that is running your scripts.  To give you an idea of my dislike of
hard coding paths in scripts, I tend to run scripts using the perl
executable of my choice rather than relying on the shebang line of the
script to point to the correct perl (or using env to pull it out of the
path).

I think the closest migration I was involved in was migrating production
systems from a custom perl build on old VMs to fresh VMs with newer
versions of the OS we were using.  For that setup we built and installed
perl the way we wanted it on one new VM instance, then used rsync to
copy our custom built perl executable and libraries to all the new VMs
(all the new VMs were the same and were running on the same type of
hardware).  That way we had two sets of VMs both with complete copies of
all the perl executables and libraries we needed.

I'm not sure if any of this helps you with your situation.

Bryan