[sf-perl] upgrade hell?

David Alban extasia at extasia.org
Wed Oct 31 08:49:38 PDT 2012

thanks bryan,

as you surmised, our cpan and home grown modules are installed in
/nas/reg/lib/perl (symlink to /nas/reg/lib/perl5).  /nas/reg/ is a
network filesystem mounted by all of our hosts.

we include the statement:

  use lib '/nas/reg/lib/perl';

in all of our tools.  i'm not sure what to do in the case that's fast
coming up:  the current hosts will continue running 5.8.8 but all of
the new hosts will be running 5.10.1.  perhaps we do use a /nas/reg2/
filesystem, complete with its own /nas/reg2/lib/perl (symlink to
/nas/reg2/lib/perl5) and reinstall all cpan modules there for 5.10.1.
and perhaps we change:

  use lib '/nas/reg/lib/perl';

in all of our tools to:

  usr lib '/usr/local/lib/perl';

and on the 5.8.8 hosts /usr/local/lib/perl is a symlink to
/nas/reg/lib/perl and on the 5.10.1 hosts /usr/local/lib/perl is a
symlink to /nas/reg2/lib/perl ?

again, looking for perspectives from folks who've gone down this path
and have had to maintain two versions of cpan modules and home grown
tools which use them.

--
Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.
***