[sf-perl] [job] DreamHost is looking for Perl Developers

Chris Mueller chris.mueller at dreamhost.com
Fri Aug 24 14:14:00 PDT 2012

Greetings Mongers,

DreamHost is looking to add two Perl Mongers (known as Hosting
Developers internally) to the Software Development team.  We've got an
office on Battery and Pine in San Francisco, which would be the ideal
location for these new hires.

Have a look at the specs if you're considering a career move.  We're
an awesome company to work for, and are in the midst of some exciting
and boundary pushing projects.

Feel free to reach out to me directly, or apply online, if this looks
of interest.

Senior Developer; Hosting
Tracking Code
42-401
Job Description:
DreamHost is a successful web hosting company with over 300,000
customers. We’ve been in business since 1997 and offer our clients
shared hosting, virtual private servers, dedicated hosting, and domain
registration. DreamHost is currently building out our hosted cloud
computing products (cloud compute and cloud storage) and we’re also
the creators and primary sponsors of the Open Source project, Ceph.
DreamHost is also an awesome place to work and we’re looking for great
people to join our team! To support our growth, we’re hiring a Senior
Developer to work on our amazing hosting products.

Strategy & Planning:
Design, implement and maintain multiple product modules.
Participate in sprint planning meetings and daily stand-ups.

Acquisition & Deployment:
Build public hosting products that will be used by hundreds of
thousands of customers.
Perform complex product design activities which may require extensive
research and analysis.
Troubleshoot and fix bugs on modules that you’re responsible for.
Document the development work that you’re responsible for.

Required Skills:
Flexible attitude, ability to perform under pressure.
A commitment to quality and a thorough approach to the work.
Able to work alone on a broad variety of projects.
Able to establish and maintain healthy working relationships with
people in course of work.
Good professional appearance.
Strong level of influence and negotiation skills.
Able to deliver effective results, meet tight deadlines and targets.
Good judgment and decision-making skills.
Able to motivate and empower others to reach organizational goals.

Required Experience:
Be able to thrive in an agile development environment (Scrum)
Understand the DevOps model and how that practically applies to a
hosting company
Possess a burning passion regarding innovation and new technologies
6-10 years experience designing and writing complex, scalable applications
Experience solving large scaling issues
Flexible enough to quickly adapt and learn new technology
6+ years developing application on Linux operating system environments.
3+ years of hands-on networking experience including functional
knowledge of HTTP, DNS, TCP/IP and related networking protocols and
technologies.
Strong familiarity with SSH, FTP, SCP, HTTP, DNS protocols.
Solid, functional understanding of Client/Server fundamentals.
Strong familiarity with virtualized environments (KVM).
Experience with Redmine or similar defect-tracking system.
Experience with source control systems (git/svn).
Experience with Linux operating system/application development.
Proven problem solving ability.
Expert knowledge in Python, Perl. C, C++ a big plus.
Experience with virtualization, preferably on multiple hypervisors.
Experience with hosting companies is a plus.

Job Location
San Francisco/Los Angeles, CA, US.

Position Type
Full-Time/Regular