[sf-perl] Fwd: [Perlweekly] The current Perl Weekly News - Issue #13

Peter Thoeny peter at thoeny.org
Tue Oct 25 10:32:35 PDT 2011

New Perl Weekly issue by Gabor Szabo. Subscribe if you like it.

Cheers,
Peter

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Gabor Szabo <gabor at szabgab.com>
> Date: October 24, 2011 2:43:36 AM PDT
> To: perlweekly at perlweekly.com
> Subject: [Perlweekly] The current Perl Weekly News - Issue #13
>
> Perl Weekly
>
> Issue #13 - October 24, 2011
>
> You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to embark on a new series of promotions for the Perl Weekly
> and I need your help in this. By far the best source of new
> subscribers is referrals by already satisfied users.
>
> So if you like the Perl Weekly, I'd like to ask you to forward this
> issue to your co-workers and suggest they subscribe.
>
> Now to the posts:
>
> Headlines
>
> Mojolicious 2.0 released: Perl real-time web framework
> Congratulation to Sebastian Riedel (sri) and the rest of the
> Mojolicious team! A number of significant changes were listed in the
> announcement. For example the minimum required version of perl was
> moved up to 5.10.1 and Morbo was added. Morbo is the self-restarting
> development web server that just works, even on Windows.
>
> Teaching a Modern Perl Class in NYC!
> John Napiorkowski is running an 8-week long Perl class introducing
> Modern Perl to people new to Perl. This seems like a great
> opportunity to send a friend of you to learn Perl on a very low cost
> training class.
>
> Module testing basics
> Jacinta Richardson has just sent out the latest issue of the Perl
> Tips. This is a great overview of why you need to write automated
> tests. She is also describing the two major testing strategies:
> White Box Testing and Black Box Testing. In addition, if you were
> subscribed to their perl-tips newsletter, you'd get a discount on
> their next training course.
>
> Articles
>
> Dreamwidth News
> After more than 2 months of absence, Denise, one of the two owners
> of the site, has posted a longish update on what's going on at
> Dreamwidth. In case you don't know, DreamWidth is an open source
> fork of the LiveJournal system with a very open policy of publishing
> content.
>
> Simple config for the perl debugger
> Chisel gives some very useful tips on how to configure the built-in
> command line debugger of Perl.
>
> CPAN modules for parsing User-Agent strings
> Another excellent post by Neil Bowers comparing modules to parse the
> User-Agent strings passed by browsers to web servers. It sounds like
> a simple problem but due to the 'interesting' decisions made by the
> browser authors it became an annoyance. Having so many different
> solutions to this problem just adds to the confusion so I think it
> is great Neil compared them and recommended one.
>
> Taming Pod::Weaver, part 2 - Plugins, Sections and Bundles
> Yanick Champoux continuous describing how to use Pod::Weaver.
> Specifically he described plugins, sections and bundles

> [...]

   * Peter Thoeny                             Peter[at]Thoeny.org
   * http://twiki.net - Twiki, Inc. - Enterprise Agility
   * http://twiki.org - is your team already TWiki enabled?
   * Knowledge cannot be managed, it can be discovered and shared
   * This e-mail is:   (_) private    (x) ask first    (_) public