[sf-perl] "Lee" is looking for a new position
rdm at cfcl.com
Fri Oct 21 12:06:54 PDT 2011
A friend ("Lee") is considering a bit of a career change.
I'm hoping some folks on this list might have some useful
suggestions, know of possible opportunities, etc.
Lee is currently employed, so I won't be getting specific
in this note. Feel free, however, to contact me off-list
if you need more details and/or want to contact Lee.
Lee has a variety of useful skills, acquired from decades
of experience in the computer and biotech industries:
* Information architecture and content management
* Mac and Unix system administration and use
* Scripting (mostly Perl, but also Awk, Make, Ruby,
Shell, TWiki, etc.) Scripting is Lee's home turf.
* Technical writing and editing (eg, copy editing,
formatting, organizing, word-smithing)
A lot of what Lee brings to the party lies in the area of
information gathering and analysis. Here is a typical
comment from a former "customer":
Lee is the kind of person who "hears" what it is you are
saying, and then gives you what you want, which may not
be exactly what you asked for -- but much better!"
Lee isn't exactly sure what an ideal position would look
like, but says "I'll know it when I see it". However, Lee
offers the following general information:
* Lee's interests include scientific programming, data
filters, knowledge management, and social media.
* Lee enjoys code review, code cleanup, and bug hunting.
* Lee's passion is helping others to be more productive.
* Lee enjoys sharing knowledge, whether in the form of
course development and training, answering questions,
or creating documentation.
* Lee prefers developing internal tools to externally-
visible applications, creating internal documentation
to external publications, etc.
* Lee strongly prefers to work closely with users:
I don't like development projects where the users are
"somewhere out there". I want a direct connection to
the people I work for. I want to solve real problems
for real people with real needs, not something thought
up by a marketing department. I want to be able to
communicate directly with my customers.
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm Rich Morin
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume rdm at cfcl.com
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/weblog +1 650-873-7841
Software system design, development, and documentation
More information about the SanFrancisco-pm