[sf-perl] Hypercritical on Perl & other programming languages

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Mon May 16 13:41:12 PDT 2011

http://5by5.tv/hypercritical/15

This is a great podcast episode by John Siracusa. He talked about programming languages, why they all suck, how to choose "the right one", and why he programs in Perl. It's not sugar-coated, but it's very interesting stuff. He does finally get around to "the reason to program in Perl is CPAN," but he doesn't put it front and center.

I have a question, though: Is he right about Perl being a testbed for language design in a way that other dynamic languages aren't? If so, I'm even more excited for the future of Perl. Testbeds live forever. :-)

-- Mike
Mike Friedman | HighWire Press, Stanford Univ | friedman at highwire.stanford.edu