[sf-perl] perl popularity, TIOBE index - detailed comments

Joseph Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Sun May 15 11:22:49 PDT 2011

Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com> wrote:

>> - mod_perl is not an answer for hosting companies for acceleration, they've gone with PHP.

> You mean shared hosting?  Yeah, who cares.  Serious stuff is done on VPS or dedicated hardware or Amazon-like clouds.

The success of PHP is at least an indirect problem for perl's culture,
because PHP can now draw on a big pool of amateurs who start out with
admittedly cheesy shared hosting.

On the other hand, you could argue that perl had more amateurs than it
could safely absorb, and maybe we're a little better off that they're
writing bad code for Drupal.