[sf-perl] perl popularity, TIOBE index - detailed comments

James Briggs james at ActionMessage.com
Thu May 12 22:52:00 PDT 2011

Just looking at the rankings and percentages, Perl is actually doing ok:

- half of the Top 10 are actually C or derivatives
- the scripting languages after Perl have a long way to go to catch up
- also, most programmers know or work in more than 1 language.

Having said that, Perl does face some long-term problems:

- still no polished IPV6 support, hence some of the Python growth
- spotty Unicode support
- mod_perl is not an answer for hosting companies for acceleration, so
  they've gone with PHP.

If anybody is serious about working together on IPV6 support, let me know.

James.

On Thu, 12 May 2011 13:54:37 -0700, Philip J. Hollenback wrote