[sf-perl] perl popularity, TIOBE index

Fred Moyer fred at redhotpenguin.com
Thu May 12 14:14:43 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Jonathan Swartz <swartz at pobox.com> wrote:
> There's a lot on the net about how flawed TIOBE is. But I haven't heard of anything much more useful either.
>
> Here's one starting point:
>
> http://blog.timbunce.org/2008/04/12/tiobe-or-not-tiobe-lies-damned-lies-and-statistics/

Another is here:

http://contentment.org/2008/04/perl-is-not-going-away.html

Here is how the ratings are calculated.  So every time you open up
'Programming Perl' to look up something, or run 'perldoc -f', TIOBE
does not factor that usage into their calcuations.

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/tpci_definition.htm

The ratings are calculated by counting hits of the most popular search
engines. The search query that is used is

+"<language> programming"
This search query is executed for the top 6 websites of Alexa that
meet the following conditions:

The entry page of the site contains a search facility
The result of querying the site contains an indication of the number
of page hits
Based on these criteria currently Google (32%), YouTube (10%), Yahoo!
(3%), Bing (3%), Wikipedia (16%), Blogger (32%) and Baidu (3%) are
used as search engines.