[sf-perl] ORM vs. DBI

Paul Makepeace Paul.Makepeace at realprogrammers.com
Tue Mar 1 13:49:12 PST 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 17:26, Kevin Frost <biztos at mac.com> wrote:
> For my money, I don't think I would do any serious development without at
> least enough ORM to permanetly avoid hashrefs and arrayrefs in the app code.

This on its own is huge. Being able to point the ORM at the database
and have it auto-generate classes that'll give you accessors is really
a big timesaver.

DBIC covers some pretty complex SQL generation at this point. Sure, if
you're doing heavy OLAP/data mining work then you'll be hand-crafting
but for the majority (>99%?) of common use cases in development it'll
have you covered. Most ORMs have had decent prefetching for years so
that objection (lookups on related/joined/FK'ed) tables went away a
long time ago.

I'm working full time with Django and its modeling system and while
it's early days yet it does seem a much easier fit for me (I was in
the camp of "goddamit let me just use SQL already!" and had a slower
time adapting to the method calls & chained resultset notion. Also I
think Perl's syntax is a fail compared to python in this instance)

Paul