[sf-perl] ORM vs. DBI

yary not.com at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 09:56:42 PST 2011

I've written/been in multi-hundred-table enterprise apps- which used
SQL/DBI, and then had a brief stint working on a couple web apps that
had maybe a dozen tables- and used an ORM. For that the ORM made
coding quicker- typing "select this from here, there where
here.key=there.key and that=foo" gets monotonous after a while. ORMs
are good for the common simple operations.

I always ended up having to write SQL to do things the ORMs weren't
written to do- and that's fine. Any ORM that had the expressive power
of full SQL is re-inventing the wheel!

There's no need to convert any existing database app to an ORM, if
you're starting from scratch then using an ORM will save you writing
some convenience classes.