[sf-perl] ORM vs. DBI

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Sat Feb 26 23:00:37 PST 2011

Fellow Perl Mongers,

I finally got around to reading up on and trying out DBIx::Class. It looks pretty neat, but after loading up a complex DB (108 tables) and writing a short test script, I really don't understand why you'd want to use it over using just regular DBI and SQL. Maybe it's because I knew SQL before I knew Perl and I'm training in looking at things in a SQL way, but I'm not so sure.

So I'd like to throw the floor open to discussion. Why would you want to use DBIx::Class (or any Object-Relational Manager) instead of writing classes that call the DB directly through DBI?

Thanks,
-- Mike
Mike Friedman | HighWire Press, Stanford Univ | friedman at highwire.stanford.edu