[sf-perl] [announce] Pinto-0.026

Jonathan Swartz swartz at pobox.com
Thu Dec 8 12:08:54 PST 2011

> 2011/12/8 Jeffrey Thalhammer <jeff at imaginative-software.com>
> Hi everyone-
>
> A few months ago, I was tasked with building a private CPAN for a new client.  I had already done this a couple times before using CPAN::Site or CPAN::Mini, but I was never really happy with the results.  So this time, I started from scratch.  The result is called Pinto, and it is now available on CPAN.  Pinto is inspired by CPAN::Mini, CPAN::Mini::Inject, and OrePAN, but adds several interesting features (listed below).
>
> Good timing.  I was just about to post a question asking how people manage their in-house modules.  So, I'll take a look at this soon as I have some time.
>
> What I'm interested in is how others in an environment that includes a dozen or so developers manage their in-house modules.  Most of our developers work on just a few "dev" boxes and currently (mostly) using a shared Perl library.  I think either perlbrew or local::lib is the best solution for individual developers, but we also have a number of in-house modules in svn that our apps depend on.   It would be very handy to have a local CPAN so that checking out an app and running "make" would bring in in-house dependencies just as if they were on CPAN.
>
> Currently, some developers just check-out from svn the in-house module they need and install in local::lib, but mostly they get installed system-wide, which isn't a great approach.
>
> Can anyone offer comments on how this is done in your organization?

I like keeping the CPAN install dirs in svn. On each machine we check out these directories into a known location, e.g. /opt/vendor/perl/lib/site_perl. That way when you install a new CPAN module or upgrade an existing one, you just commit the changes and then check out on other machines. Doesn't work as well when you've got different architectures but there are ways around that too.

Jon