[sf-perl] last night's meeting

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Sat Apr 30 11:00:45 PDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 03:12:19AM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 00:58, Joseph Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:
> > I was reading some criticism of jquery recently, by Rebecca
> > Murphey, who essentially argues that it's DOM-centric view of the
> > world isn't that well suited to real applications (great for
> > simple stuff, but too hard to get it to do complex stuff):
> >
> >  http://www.dagolden.com/index.php/1446/is-javascript-the-new-perl/
>
> Is it just me or is this essentially just saying "mediocre
> programmers write mediocre code" (regardless of what language)? I
> don't see how anything jQuery has done has any influence on her
> argument. What am I missing?
>
> I have seen complex apps made out of jQuery that are comprehensible
> & maintainable so I'm not even convinced of the premise.

The sad reality is that there aren't all that many excellent
programmers around, and there are few incentives to actually train up
excellent programmers.  It takes about a decade under excellent
tutelage to turn a decent one into an excellent one, and "decade"
isn't a thing many businesses have incentives to plan for.

I'm not going to go too far into how the system of "making the
numbers" on a quarterly basis is a principal cause of this, except to
mention that it is.

Cheers,
David.
--