[sf-perl] scalars leaked

David Alban extasia at extasia.org
Mon Apr 25 16:22:58 PDT 2011

greetings,

so...  i did a "fair" amount of rtfm'ing.  i'm new to threads.
running perl, v5.8.8 built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi on Linux
$MYHOST 2.6.18-92.1.17.el5 #1 SMP Wed Oct 22 04:19:38 EDT 2008 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux.  downloaded latest threads from cpan.  and of
course, getting "Scalars leaked: ..." in output.

so i renamed my-perl-threads-program to my-perl-threads-program-engine
and have made my-perl-threads-program a wrapper:

     #!/bin/bash

     export PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:$DIR_WITH_MY_PGM

     my-perl-threads-program-engine "$@" 2>&1 | egrep -iv
'Scalars[[:space:]]+leaked:'

     status=$?

     exit $status

before doing this (creating the wrapper program), i tried the
following in my subroutines after processing @_, 'cause someone on the
'net suggested it:

  @_ = () if $ARGV[ 0 ];

didn't solve the problem.

anyone have a better solution to get rid of this message?  or perhaps
a solution which will prevent the generation of the message?  is this
just something folks accept?  i saw a lot of instances of
folks/documentation saying to ignore these messages.

is there a "fine manual" i missed that contains the answer?

thanks,
david

p.s.  heh.  now that i look at my wrapper program, the exit status
will be the status of my egrep, not my perl program.  whatever, will
address that later...
--
Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.