[sf-perl] [poll] What Perl IDE do you use?

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 15 22:23:05 PDT 2011

Thanks for the links to the polls, Gabor!

It's interesting to me that, except for UltraEdit (who might be accused of stuffing the ballot box in 2009), the percentages and order are about the same on both polls, a year apart.

Does that show that we're all set in our ways and don't change editors very often or does it show that there are only a few really good editors out there and all the "new guys" are just wandering around the edges? My guess would be some of both: you find an editor you like and then you spend the next 3 months customizing it and learning it well so you can be highly productive. That is a serious incentive to not switch unless the new editor is much much better. It'd be like having to learn how to drive all over again if you bought a Ford instead of a Toyota -- not many people would switch brands.

Which brings me to a further question for the group: how much have you customized your editor?

I can imagine someone using plain vanilla Notepad can't do much with it, but I've seen people's emacs and vim configurations: no two are alike. Sitting down at someone else's terminal is a disaster, because none of your key shortcuts work.

Personally, I use TextMate because I can write bundles for it really easily. I have several custom bundles, some modifications to the standard bundles, and even a new language grammar for SQL. (The standard one left out a ton of keywords.) I'd be quite a bit less effective were I to grab an off-the-shelf copy of TextMate and try to use it.

-- Mike F
Mike Friedman | HighWire Press, Stanford Univ | friedman at highwire.stanford.edu