[sf-perl] writing a csv file: how do i embed a newline in a cell?

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Fri Apr 8 17:52:07 PDT 2011

David Alban writes:
 > greetings,
 >
 > i'm writing a program that will produce a csv file so that folks can
 > import the output into an ms excel spreadsheet. [...]

If you really want a CSV file, then I'd try to let someone else do the
work and use Text::CSV_XS.  Pay attention to the pod about embedded
newlines and quoting and it should work (though I admit I haven't
tried it).

Alternatively, use Spreadsheet::WriteExcel or the newer
Excel::Writer::XLSX and generate an excel file directly.

g.