[sf-perl] anaconda, puppet and chef

James Briggs james at ActionMessage.com
Tue Sep 28 00:27:56 PDT 2010

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 14:47:44 -0700, Fred Moyer wrote
> Anyone in SF.pm using Puppet?
>
> >    Hello Fred,
> >
> > I have an announcement that i'd like to post to your Perl group list if
possible.  My company, Puppet Labs, is hosting our annual "Puppet Camp" in the
Bay Area. If you could post the following announcement to your list it would
be greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks, Amy.

I use a fairly advanced anaconda/kickstart/PXE server build configuration
system for some data centers. They use post-install scripts written in
bash or Perl.

I attended the Chef tutorial at OSCON and it was 20x more complicated
than anaconda. Chef is a superset of Puppet. Both are ways to "program"
the configuration and updates of your servers more-or-less using Ruby.

My takeaway from the tutorial was that if you're 100% committed to
migrating to Puppet or Chef, then you're ready to dive into them.
Otherwise, not so much.

James.